Monday 20 September 2010

Excitement on Plane for Entebbe

I am in Entebbe, Uganda, participating in a series of seminars organized by the UN Special Advisor on the Prevention of Genocide. Yesterday morning, as we were about to take off on the KLM plane at Schipol airport in Amsterdam, there was some excitement. I was sitting right by the door, and minutes before we were to take off a number of black-suited security people with automatic rifles rushed onto the plane amd wemt towards the back. A few minutes later, they walked out with a well-dressed man who is now, according to the newspapers, a suspected Somali terrorist. I had my reliable Iphone with me, but didn't think quickly enough and as a result don't have a photograph, alas. We were later taken off the plane so that everything could be searched. We arrived late last night in Uganda, two hours behind schedule.
Being a human rights lawyer has its occasional thrills!

No comments: